Meridian G65 Surround Controller continues a 20-year legacy of category innovation and leadership with high performance, connectivity, and ease of use. G65 is now the definitive surround controller second only to the flagship 861, but deriving many of its capabilities and performance from its big brother.
A worthy successor to the world’s first Digital Surround Controller, the 565.
High Performance Theatre
20 years ago, in 1994, Meridian released the world’s first Digital Surround Controller, the 565. That same year Meridian entered the emerging home theatre market with another first, the Meridian Digital Theatre. This concept was based on the company’s new range of digital loudspeakers and the 565. The Digital Theatre and the 565 won more than ten awards in the first twelve months of production.
When partnered with the HD621, the G65 features a comprehensive input capability to accommodate the widest range of audio and video sources. Now equipped with SpeakerLink and balanced analogue outputs, G65 is equally at home in Meridian Digital Theatres and with analogue loudspeaker-based systems.
Meridian Room Correction
Room shape, size, furnishing and loudspeaker positions all influence the sound of any system. The result is often uneven sound - low frequencies are too loud in some places and too quiet in others. Meridian's Room Correction system uses powerful DSP to smooth out uneven room resonances for clearer sound and better imaging.
Traditional audio systems often require large, expensive cables to maintain their performance. Meridian's SpeakerLink uses an “Ethernet style” cable that delivers pristine digital sound and control down a single cable between Meridian components. The result is simple, unobtrusive, and cost-effective cables that are easy to install.
Triple FIFO Buffering
Each sample of a digital recording must remain evenly spaced in time. Unfortunately, timing can vary, especially when reading discs. This is “jitter”, degrading music's sense of space and diminishing realism. Meridian's multiple “First In, First Out” buffering system minimises jitter, ensuring perfect timing and improved clarity. You enjoy a clearer feeling of the instruments and their interrelationship.
Music, movies and other sources each need their own settings to play correctly. Usually you have to select the right settings yourself. A Meridian system, however, analyses the incoming content and automatically selects the correct group of settings – we call them presets – for the source. You just sit back and enjoy the experience.
Meridian Apodising Filter
Filters are critical in digital audio. Commonly they introduce distortion and harshness because of "pre-ringing". Early digital recordings suffer from harshness too, due to primitive filters. After painstaking research, Meridian developed a special filter that avoids pre-ringing, so it can be steeper, cleaning up the effects of early filters. The result: a better, cleaner sound from recordings old and new.
- 1x MMHR (Meridian Multichannel High Resolution) 6 channel input designed to receive audio
- Meridian HD621 HDMI processor
- 2x SpeakerLink (RJ45) for connection to Meridian
- 6x S/PDIF digital (coax), D1–D3 can be configured
- 6-ch digital input with Meridian MHR Smart Link
- 2x Toslink S/PDIF optical inputs
- 8x analogue stereo inputs, (phono) A1–A3 can be configured as x1 six-channel analogue input
- 0.5–2.5Vrms adjustable, input impedance 20k?
- 8x SpeakerLink digital (RJ45): L, R, C, Sub, Side L, Side R, Rear L, Rear R
- 8x analogue (XLR): Main L, Main R, Side L, Side R, Rear L, Rear R, Centre, Sub
- 2x Legacy Meridian Comms (DIN)
- 1x 12V Trigger, 1x IR in for G12 receiver
- USB & RS232 remote control/configuration
- 5x Freescale processors running at 750
- MIPS (million instructions per second)
- 48-bit arithmetic throughout
- 24-bit Sigma-Delta converter chips operating up to 96kHz on analogue in/out
- Front-panel soft keys include control of Source, Mute, etc
- Power and Display buttons, rotary DSP volume control
- Full remote control via MSR+, serial
- Serial link or maintenance USB port used for firmware updates
- Config via serial or front panel wizard
- Multi-character dot-matrix Vacuum Fluorescent
- Front-panel keys back-illuminated; Standby button lit when off
- Dolby Digital, DTS, MPEG Surround and AAC
- DSP Modes: Include Direct, Stereo, Music, Trifield, Ambisonics (2-ch UHJ & ?3-ch B-Format; 4 –7 speaker decode), Super Stereo MusicLogic, PLIIx Music, PLIIx Movie, PLIIx THX, TV Logic,Mono, Discrete, Cinema, THX, THX Music, THX Surround EX THX Ultra2 Cinema and Meridian Room Correction
Dimensions (WDH): 440 x 350 x 90mm - Weight: 10 kg ( 22 lbs)
Rack Mounting: Kit available from Meridian authorized retailers